18.6.11







A couple of weeks on from returning from my trip to New York, and then a trip to Bristol and Cornwall straight after, I am now back in one spot, and all that has occurred in the past month is beginning to be absorbed.

I was lucky in that a great deal of the exhibitions there seemed to cross over in a serendipitous way, in an area I find exciting in Art history; German Expressionism at MoMA, The Great Uprising at The Guggenheim, Sonia Delauney at Cooper Hewitt Design museum, the general collection at the Neue Galerie. The overriding sensation I was left with, especially with the incredible Sonia Delauney show, was the bold grasp with colour the early 20th century artists had. I also saw some beautiful and colourful Peruvian weavings in the flesh at the Met, which added to this feeling that I will probably now attribute to New York as a whole.

So on my return I have been keen to try and do something in colour, I wanted to make something quickly as a sort of knee jerk reaction to everything.


Working often in indian ink, I have sometimes had misfortunes with spillages, and indian ink is a terrible thing to spill. I had such an incident on opening my suitcase in new york. A new dress beared the brunt, so when I returned to London I set about trying to repair the damage, after a few experiments I used the indian ink mixed with water to dye the fabric, from a nude colour to a silver tone. Continuing on from the bands I have been weaving before I designed a segmented design, with the intention to wear it as a belt to go with the dress, which now being quite dull and uneven in tone, would benefit from flat bold colour. For the colour choice I took a cue from the colours I normally wear as accessories, bright primary colours, and also from the first sample I ever made weaving.






I am eager to explore designing and making more bands, tapes and belts and also to investigate dyeing techniques with fabric. There is another weaving project I have my mind on, which will be a longterm project, to create weavings and furnishings for the barn my parents are renovating in the Brecon Beacons in Wales. My father is a brilliant architect and this is a project he has long dreamed of doing and has been working on for the last couple of years. It is wonderful to see it being realised. I will talk more about it soon because there are so many exciting features and elements to his design. The barn has been untouched for many years and the landscape has grown up amongst it, which is being incorperated into the design rather than overcome, this balance of the man-made/ creativity and nature is perhaps something I want to look at in the weavings. He has recently set up his own architectural practice which you can visit here where you can see more about this project. In July I will visit the barn and begin the process of setting about it all.











37 comments:

rental mobil said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

anna said...

i love your save of the dress! its really beautiful.
the project with your dad also sounds really great.

butoijoh said...

I absolutely love reading this article, the manner of writing is outstanding.This post as usual was instructive, I have had to bookmark your website and subscribe to this feed in googlereader. this site looks impressive.
mesin fotocopy | rental sound | rumah dijual | perlengkapan bayi | SEO Company | party organizer | parfum

jakarta hotel said...

Thanks for taking this topic.

properti semarang said...

Hey there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this website.

Anonymous said...

We will help recreate your online image and give your site all of the abilities that it needs to attract new viewers
and help to sell your business' products or services.
melbourne web developer | Melbourne SEO Services | Oxone

San Diego Hills said...

Temukan Parfum asli disini.

Teralis said...

Very nice!!!
gLutera
Aksesoris Mobil
Kanopi

jaring pengaman bangunan said...

Nice article, thanks for the information. It's very complete information. I will bookmark for next reference
jaring futsal | jaring golf | jaring pengaman proyek |
jaring pengaman bangunan | jaring pengaman gedung

Lan Linh said...

Great! Thanks for sharing the information. That is very helpful for increasing my knowledge in this field.
pacman |happy wheels |my little pony games | unblocked games
friv4 kizi 4| unblockedgames unblocked games for kids

Hieu Nguyen said...

When you see the stress in work, life, friv could well be a good site to try.
Thanks you for sharing
Friv Games, Friv Online, Friv.com, Friv

Friv Games said...

Play free Friv games flash online games flash.
Thanks you for sharing
Friv Games | Friv Online

Yepi 4 said...

You need to kill time, you need entertainment. Refer to our website. hope you get the most comfort.
Thanks you for sharing!
Friv
Friv Games
Yepi 4
Kizi 4

Friv 10 said...

you'd have time to look these kids active. Please visit our website and let us play the game interesting.
Thanks for sharing !
Friv 10
Kizi 10
Yepi 2

Friv5 said...

You need to kill time, you'd have time to look these kids active. Refer to our website. Hope you get the most comfort.
Thanks for sharing !
Friv 5
Kizi 1
Yepi 3

Friv4 said...

When you're tired, you want to relax after a stressful working hours, you need to have time to take care of the kids active.
Please visit our website and play exciting flash games.Thanks you for sharing!
Friv 4

Regina Hilary said...

this is one of the cult game now, a lot of people enjoy playing them . Also you can refer to the game :
age of war | earn to die 5 | Tank trouble | happy wheels | earn to die 6
The game controls are shown just under . Movement mechanisms primarily include acceleration and tilting controls.
tank trouble unblocked | wings io | strike force heroes

Friv100 said...

You'd have time to look these kids active. Please visit our website and let us play the games interesting.
Thanks you for sharing !
Friv 100
Friv 8
Friv 2

lee anh nuooi said...

invites you to play games for a chance to win cars Corolla Altis car

Kizi 100
Games2Win
Kizi 5
Friv Games

Giải Trí Tổng Hợp said...

I was working and suddenly I visits your site frequently and recommended it to me to read also. Age Of War 2
Big Farm | Slitherio
Tank Trouble | Happy Wheels
Goodgeme Empire | Slither.io

girlsgogames said...

You want to relax after a stressful working hours. Refer to our website. Hope you get the most comfort.
Thanks for sharing !
GirlsGoGames
Kizi 100
Frvi

Friv4 Games Online said...

We experience more than happy about that. You should also consider their finest game titles with our free currently to find the sense of exciting that brings.
happy wheels demo | friv4school | girls go games | games 2 girls | happy wheels 2

deviyudis said...

These look so interesting
pasang iklan gratis
iklan gratis

huong duong said...

I like listening to music, how about you? I have a very special thing you want to send, wish you happy music
baixar musicas , baixar musicas gratis , musicas baixar , download musicas , musicas download

huong duong said...

I think you prefer to use social networks, so today I want to introduce you to a new application that I discovered
snapchat , baixar snapchat , snapchat baixar , snapchat download , download snapchat

Linh Hoa said...

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it.Cheers for the info!!!! & This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic
subway surfers game ,subway surfer , subway surfers

Linh Hoa said...

Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet..!!
baixar whatsapp. baixar whatsapp gratis. whatsapp baixar,

Linh Hoa said...

I think what you say on here is the best thing. Looking forward for our lives become increasingly more beautiful
baixar facebook, baixar facebook gratis , facebook baixar

Linh Hoa said...

Just remember your stab at this business, should you decide to end it, is not a failure but a training ground. You will take with you what has worked and learned from what has not in order to make the next business idea a success!
subway surfers game , subway surfer , subway surfers

Trần Mi said...

Life becomes more interesting and wonderful when you share your memorable moments with friends and family through unique photographs. You can create your own unique style impressed with image editing software.
square quick , download square quick , square quick app

Trần Mi said...

The article gives me a lot of interesting information. I still often share life experiences with friends. And I enjoyed the convenience and attractiveness of free messaging app
whatsapp baixar , baixar whatsapp , baixar whatsapp gratis

Trần Mi said...

Facebook has become a part of my life, not only helped me to connect with you but also where I can share every moment in life. I really like the convenience that it brings

facebook baixar , baixar facebook , baixar facebook gratis

angelina jolie said...

Good job. All of them are Useful! ..
Y8Y8Y8

ngocanh said...

I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
lucky patcher l download lucky patcher l lucky patcher app l lucky patcher download l lucky patcher apk

ngocanh said...

Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one.
wings.io l wingsio l wings io l wingsio game l play wingsio

ngocanh said...

I think there are many people like and visit it regularly, including me.I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.
baixar sonic dash l download sonic dash l sonic dash baixar l sonic dash game l sonic dash download

Malia Obama said...

Thanks for the sharing of such information we will pass it on to our readers.
Friv
Friv Games
Friv.com